First post

Friday, January 8, 2010

Hi everyone! This is my first post on my first blog so that's new and different...but then again, going to Peru this summer will be new and different in many ways I probably can't even wrap my head around yet. New and different is good.

Before I set into writing, I'd just like to give a little background about myself and why I am writing this blog. I am a fourth-year Environmental Engineering student at the University of Waterloo, and last year I applied to Beyond Borders at St. Jerome's University, a service-based development program. Beyond Borders involves a year-long commitment, including academic courses in the Fall (Sept-Dec) and Winter (Jan-April) school terms, and a three-month placement in a developing country in the Summer (May-August) school term. In the Fall and Winter terms, Beyond Borders students also do work outside of the classroom, such as volunteering in their local communities and fundraising to cover the cost of their three-month work term. Starting now and continuing throughout the summer work experiences, the students will also blog about their experiences...hence the blog I am writing now!

After a long wait, I finally found out in December where my international placement will be. I will be going to Chincha Alta, Peru - for the geographically inclined among you, it is a city is located along the Pacific coast, south of the capital city, Lima - where I will be working in a brickbuilding quarry in an impoverished area of the city. The quarry was established several decades ago by a Canadian Catholic priest from Cape Breton Island named Brother Blaise, drawing funds from international donors, as well as important contributions from the local community. The quarry became even more important following a severe earthquake in 2007, which destroyed many homes in the area. In addition to this work, there will also be opportunities to be involved in other development work in the area, including working with youth – an opportunity that I am definitely looking forward to, since I have worked with kids in the past as a camp counselor and ski instructor and thoroughly enjoyed it.

As it stands, I still have a long way to go before I reach Chincha Alta. Although I have studied off-and-on for the last couple of years, I would still like to improve my language abilities a bit more before I am fully immersed and required to speak Spanish 24-7. I also have to step up my fundraising efforts - while I was able to raise several hundred dollars within our group events last term (including a bake sale and a band night), I still must raise another $1700 before the end of this school term. At the moment I am starting up a scheme to sell frozen soups, stews and chilies (I'm calling it “Soup and Stew for Peru”, more details to come) – at this very moment, in fact, I have a crock pot cooking a large batch of chili as well as a pot of split pea soup on the stove!

Apart from my individual efforts, I have other group fundraising activities on the horizon as well. After the overwhelmingly positive response that our band night at the Huether Hotel had last term, we have decided to do another one this term, making a few changes to hopefully earn a bit more money from the event. Additionally, there are ways for individuals to donate to my fundraising efforts – by cheque (made out to St. Jerome's University and indicated as “for David Hewson's Beyond Borders fundraising”) and cash. It is also possible to donate over the phone using a credit card - I will make sure to provide more information about this option when it is available. All donations above $10 are tax-deductible.

Despite the language and financial preparations that I have to make before I leave for Peru, I think the greatest changes to be made will likely be in readying myself as much as possible for the incredible experience ahead of me. Through some of the readings we did last fall, this program has already opened my mind the entirely different world that awaits me, and I know I have never done anything quite like this. The volunteering that I will be doing this term will also be a new challenge in many ways, as I will be working with people who in the past I may not have given a second glance. With this blog, I'm hoping that you can follow along with me as I take a major step beyond my comfort zone and into many important issues that affect us all. ¡Vamos!

1 comment:

Carolina said...

Hey Dave, can you point me in a direction to find out more about Brother Blaise? I've never heard of him and I'm curious.

Post a Comment